Atkins secures HS2 preliminary design contract - 05 April 2012
HS2 Ltd has awarded Atkins the contract to prepare the preliminary designs for the two high-speed running lines through the Country South section of High Speed 2 (HS2) – a 91km stretch covering Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire and Northamptonshire.
The contract, which has been awarded under the Lot 1 Professional Services Framework covering civil and structural design services and which is worth £13.3m, includes the design work for the Colne Valley Viaduct, the twin bore tunnels under the Chilterns and a range of new ‘green’ tunnels (which are specifically designed to blend in with the surroundings).
David Tonkin, Atkins’ UK chief executive officer, said: “HS2 is an important step towards providing the UK with the world-leading infrastructure and additional rail capacity needed to deliver sustainable economic growth.
“As well as designing a high-quality, cost-efficient railway, we have to be very aware of how we minimise the impact the construction and operation of the line could have on the communities through which it will travel, and we will work closely with HS2 Ltd,
rail systems designers, environmentalists and land referencing companies
in order to achieve this. The award of this contract recognises that our people have the experience and expertise to deliver this.”
Work will start immediately and will be completed to coincide with the introduction of the HS2 hybrid bill to Parliament by the end of 2013.
This is the second contract HS2 Ltd has awarded to Atkins under the Professional Services Framework following the announcement on 27 March 2012 that the company will also carry out the environmental impact assessment work for the Northern Rural area.
Follow Atkins’ news on Twitter
Notes to editors:
Atkins (www.atkinsglobal.com) is one of the world's leading engineering and design consultancies*, employing some 17,700 people across the UK, North America, Middle East, Asia Pacific and Europe. It has the breadth and depth of expertise to plan, design and enable some of the world's most technically challenging and time critical infrastructure projects.
*It is the largest engineering consultancy in the UK (New Civil Engineer Consultants File 2011) and the 13th largest global design firm (Engineering News-Record 2011).
Recent projects include:
- Major infrastructure works, such as the design and programme management of the civil works for the Dubai Metro red and green lines in the UAE;
- Key rail projects – providing architectural and engineering design services on Crossrail, Europe’s biggest civil engineering project in London, UK, and designing stations, tunnelling and track systems for Gautrain, South Africa’s first high speed line;
- Renewable energy schemes – transformer platform design for the Thanet offshore wind park in the North Sea;
- Multi-year architecture-engineering construction management services for the US National Park Service, including projects such as rehabilitation of the Furnace Creek Visitor Center and Administrative Complex at California’s Death Valley to meet the US Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Gold certification standards;
- High profile transport planning and urban design – our innovative scheme to deliver a diagonal crossing at Oxford Circus in London, UK, has helped tackle the problem of pedestrian crowding;
- Water and environmental projects – critical programme management of storm protection works in the wake of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans and Southern Louisiana in North America, providing expertise in coastal restoration, engineering, environmental and GIS support to rebuild defenses and protect habitats;
- Multidisciplinary building design – Northwood Primary School in Darlington, UK, is an exemplar project which raises standards for environmental design and community engagement.
Atkins was named among The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For 2011, won Consultancy of the Year in the CIBSE Low Carbon Performance Awards 2010, received the first ever certification of the Carbon Trust Standard awarded to an engineering consultancy in the construction sector, and was included in The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2011 and The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2010. Atkins was also construction and civil engineering sector winner for the fifth consecutive year in the Target National Graduate Recruitment Awards 2010 and was awarded a RoSPA Gold Award 2011 for excellence in control of health and safety in the workplace.
Atkins is the official engineering design services provider for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.