London 2012 test events series hailed as a success - 09 May 2012
London 2012 Organising Committee has declared the London Prepares Test events a success as Atkins is putting the final touches ahead of the start of the London 2012 Olympic Games on 27 July.
As official engineering design services provider for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, Atkins has led the transformation of the 246 hectares of contaminated industrial land into a park fit for Olympic venues and facilities, and is helping to deliver over 130 temporary venues around the UK.
- The Olympic Stadium: the athletes will compete for gold above what was once heavily contaminated land, before our engineers helped to clean two million cubic metres of soil.
- Greenwich Park: we designed a solution to create at temporary, level, Olympic-standard field of play for the equestrian events without causing damage to the fragile historic Greenwich Park site.
- Horse Guards Parade: we’re helping to convert this historic location into a world-class, temporary beach volleyball arena.
- Lord’s Cricket Ground: we have designed a seating solution to enable thousands of spectators to watch the archery with minimal impact on the historic cricket pitch.
- Getting around London: Atkins is helping to improve transport and public space around London, during and beyond London 2012 including improvements to the North London Line, the Docklands Light Railway and Oxford Circus.
Mike McNicholas, Atkins’ project director for London 2012, said: “This project is all about teamwork: we have seen our civil, structural and specialist engineers, project managers, environmentalists, security experts and heritage teams all working side by side, with the client and with other consultants and contractors to get the job done. The success of these test events shows that London is on course to welcome the world to our Capital.”
For Atkins’ news and updates on delivering the London 2012 Games follow Twitter at @Atkins_2012, or like us on Facebook at Atkins 2012 (www.facebook.com/pages/Atkins-2012/327815217282127).
Follow Atkins’ news on Twitter
Notes to editors:
Atkins (www.atkinsglobal.com) is one of the world's leading engineering and design consultancies*, employing some 17,700 people across the UK, North America, Middle East, Asia Pacific and Europe. It has the breadth and depth of expertise to plan, design and enable some of the world's most technically challenging and time critical infrastructure projects.
*It is the largest engineering consultancy in the UK (New Civil Engineer Consultants File 2012) and the 13th largest global design firm (Engineering News-Record 2011).
Recent projects include:
- Major infrastructure works, such as the design and programme management of the civil works for the Dubai Metro red and green lines in the UAE;
- Key rail projects – providing architectural and engineering design services on Crossrail, Europe’s biggest civil engineering project in London, UK, and designing stations, tunnelling and track systems for Gautrain, South Africa’s first high speed line;
- Renewable energy schemes – transformer platform design for the Thanet offshore wind park in the North Sea;
- High profile transport planning and urban design – our innovative scheme to deliver a diagonal crossing at Oxford Circus in London, UK, has helped tackle the problem of pedestrian crowding;
- Multidisciplinary building design – Northwood Primary School in Darlington, UK, is an exemplar project which raises standards for environmental design and community engagement.
- Multi-year architecture-engineering construction management services for the US National Park Service, including projects such as rehabilitation of the Furnace Creek Visitor Center and Administrative Complex at California’s Death Valley to meet the US Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Gold certification standards;
- Water and environmental projects – critical programme management of storm protection works in the wake of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans and Southern Louisiana in North America, providing expertise in coastal restoration, engineering, environmental and GIS support to rebuild defenses and protect habitats;
Atkins was named among The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For 2011, won Consultancy of the Year in the CIBSE Low Carbon Performance Awards 2010, received the first ever certification of the Carbon Trust Standard awarded to an engineering consultancy in the construction sector, and was included in The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2011 and The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2010. Atkins was also construction and civil engineering sector winner for the fifth consecutive year in the Target National Graduate Recruitment Awards 2010 and was awarded a RoSPA Gold Award 2011 for excellence in control of health and safety in the workplace.
Atkins is the official engineering design services provider for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.