Atkins named Education Consultant of the Year - 22 June 2012
Atkins has been named Education Consultant of the Year at the annual British Council for School Environments (BCSE) Awards.
The success reflects Atkins’ strength in the education sector where it provides architectural expertise as part of a multidisciplinary service offering.
Philip Watson, head of education at Atkins, said: “Our approach to design is to focus on meeting the needs of the learner and our work shows that the quality of teaching environments and the learning experience for young people needn’t be compromised, despite a tough economic climate.
“To be named Education Consultant of the Year is a tremendous achievement and a fitting reward for our work right across the sector which is spearheaded by our growing reputation for design excellence in architecture as well as engineering.”
Atkins also enjoyed success in the Special Educational Needs Project category, with its design for Springwell Community School in Barnsley being highly commended.
Now in their fifth year, the BCSE ‘Best of British Schools’ awards celebrate excellence in the design and construction of schools across the country. The British Council for School Environments is the UK's leading charity in education, design and construction with membership comprising of schools, local authorities and companies.
For more information:
Notes to editors:
Atkins (www.atkinsglobal.com) is one of the world's leading engineering and design consultancies*, employing some 17,700 people across the UK, North America, Middle East, Asia Pacific and Europe. It has the breadth and depth of expertise to plan, design and enable some of the world's most technically challenging and time critical infrastructure projects.
*It is the largest engineering consultancy in the UK (New Civil Engineer Consultants File 2012) and the 13th largest global design firm (Engineering News-Record 2011).
Recent projects include:
- Major infrastructure works, such as the design and programme management of the civil works for the Dubai Metro red and green lines in the UAE;
- Key rail projects – providing architectural and engineering design services on Crossrail, Europe’s biggest civil engineering project in London, UK, and designing stations, tunnelling and track systems for Gautrain, South Africa’s first high speed line;
- Renewable energy schemes – transformer platform design for the Thanet offshore wind park in the North Sea;
- Multi-year architecture-engineering construction management services for the US National Park Service, including projects such as rehabilitation of the Furnace Creek Visitor Center and Administrative Complex at California’s Death Valley to meet the US Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Gold certification standards;
- High profile transport planning and urban design – our innovative scheme to deliver a diagonal crossing at Oxford Circus in London, UK, has helped tackle the problem of pedestrian crowding;
- Water and environmental projects – critical programme management of storm protection works in the wake of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans and Southern Louisiana in North America, providing expertise in coastal restoration, engineering, environmental and GIS support to rebuild defenses and protect habitats;
- Multidisciplinary building design – Northwood Primary School in Darlington, UK, is an exemplar project which raises standards for environmental design and community engagement.
Atkins was named among The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For 2011, won Consultancy of the Year in the CIBSE Low Carbon Performance Awards 2010, received the first ever certification of the Carbon Trust Standard awarded to an engineering consultancy in the construction sector, and was included in The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2011 and The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2010. Atkins was also construction and civil engineering sector winner for the fifth consecutive year in the Target National Graduate Recruitment Awards 2010 and was awarded a RoSPA Gold Award 2011 for excellence in control of health and safety in the workplace.
Atkins is the official engineering design services provider for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.